Thursday, May 1, 2008

Racy!

I'm not a person of Suspense thrillers. Frankly, I find it rather taxing to sit in one place, without being allowed the luxury of letting my mind wander from time to time. While the Hollywood ones are quite out of question, I do find it rather difficult to even get hold of the plots of our domestic Bollywood ones, let alone the delicate intricacies that seem to make all the difference. And while watching the movie "Race" my concentration was, yet again, found wanting.


Scientists call it "Attention Deficit Disorder" and promptly suggest larger gallops of iron, but whatever the reason the above movie passed me by almost as fast as its name suggests. I was not aided by the fact that the names of the characters were rather similar sounding. (Although Ranvir and Rajiv were less so compared to Sophia and Sonia). It made the head swim a bit, trying assiduously to assimilate their names and while i did so, allowing myself a solemn second of thought, a few defining twists-in-the-plot would pass me by. Thankfully, i saw this film on a cd, which allowed me a the rewind and replay option, for had i seen it in the theaters, I'd be quite lost!


But after considerable effort, I managed to grip the plot. And one finds it impossible to comprehend how our story-teller manages to fit in that many number of fake marriages, fake signatures, betrayals, affairs and other things within 2-and-a-half something hours. Basically Saif's girlfriend runs off with Akshaye & Akshaye runs off with Saif's secretary, while in the meantime Saif sleeps with his ex-girlfriend, who is now married to Akshaye, while Akshaye pretends to kill Saif's secretary but sleeps with her instead, and the secretary has already slept with Saif, and Akshaye now plans to kill Saif's girlfriend, to whom the former is married, but the marriage is fake and then has a fake marriage with Saif's secretary. In the meantime Saif dies(killing him, for his large insurance claim, is the protagonist of all the above events) but comes back all-righto, for he faked his own death to find out the cause of his brother's, Akshaye's, rather devious plan. And I must admit, had the writers had a lower ethical standard, they'd also throw in an affair between the secretary and the girlfriend! Anil Kapoor had a cool role of a cop who keeps eating fruits wherever he goes and passes intermittent fruit-based poetry, comprehension of which throws me of the plot for another several valuable seconds


But the film, after a number of rewinds and replays is a hit for me. But then again any film that casts Katrina Kaif is a hit for me! She's probably the most adorable villain i'll ever come across!

No comments: