Thursday, October 9, 2008

What I've felt.. What I've known..

Well, before i start, let me get one thing very clear. Everything said and done, Metallica has been, is and will be my favourite-est band ever. Whatever varying phases i pass through, of metal and pop, of anger and solitude, of joy and sorrow, Metallica have been and always will be there. Its one of those things that just stick for the rest of your life. Its a band that has changed my outlook towards music & widened my musical horizons and understanding, I'll always find myself listening to Wherever I May Roam while travelling, Master Of Puppets just before an exam, Nothing Else Matters when I'm feeling in love and The Unforgiven and Enter Sandman at absolutely any time of the day. James, Kirk, Lars and even Cliff and Jason. Some of the most amazing people on earth( and one in heaven, RIP)..

And in the midst of all this comes the new album, Death Magnetic.

I still haven't come to terms with the fact that Jason Newsted is well and truly out of the band and is now replaced by this Robert Trujjilo. So while I think that Death Magnetic is clearly the best album since Reload and better that Load before that, I still don't find the bass mechanics of Robert oh-sp appealing. I liked the feeling that Jason gave and which I thought held the "Metallica sound" together. Trujillo's bass still sounds like a bit of a racket.


Lars has done way better than the ridiculous snare-banging he did for St. Anger. He's put in some delightful rolls all through the album that reminds me of those good times of the late 80s where he for the first time, gave up speed drumming in favor of some drumming artistry. Although, he has retained that damned snare he used in St. Anger that echoes quite noisily.

The guitar sound has thankfully mellowed down. It seems that they finally, after 28 years, decided to give up the really heavy distortion and with it the need to palm-mute. The sound has become a lot more grunge, quite a bit like Ozzy's guitar sound. It is good to listen to Kirk's solos again(Kirk took a break in St. Anger X( ) especially the wahs in Unforgiven 3.

But the man who took the cake for me(as he often does) was James. The man i thought was dead and buried after St. Anger has resurrected himself and how! He too has mellowed down, but the force of his voice remains as strong and compellingly passionate as ever.

Death Magnetic, for me, is an absolute hit. Metallica are BACK!

No comments: